There is no doubt that adding a chandelier to your home can make a huge impact on your space. Not only do chandeliers provide brilliant lighting but they also set the tone of home by adding style and personality to your space. Chandeliers come in a range of styles and though some may be simple to install others can be complicated and come with challenges. Larger chandeliers can be complicated and should generally be left to professionals to install to ensure they are done correctly and safely.
At Penfold Electric we have helped countless clients with installing chandeliers in their homes. For your safety and to ensure your chandelier is installed correctly we would always suggest that you choose a licensed electrician for your installation. See our steps below for a general how-to when it comes to chandelier installation. We are always here to assist you with your project and would be pleased to offer you a installing a chandelier in your home!
Steps for Installing a Chandelier
- The first step when completing any electrical work is to shut off the power to the area you are working in. Safety needs to be a top priority in working with electrical wires and this step cannot be missed.
- After the power has been turned off it is time to remove the existing light fixture. If the light fixture is heavy or located on a high ceiling always work with a partner for safety.
- Depending on the style of your chandelier it will now be time to install the electrical box to the hole where the light fixture will be. Follow the directions provided by the chandelier manufacturer if you have them. Keep in mind, if you had a chandelier in place before, you should already have an electrical box. If you do not already have an electrical box installed, you will need to have this done by a licensed electrician.
- If your chandelier has a chain or the length can be adjusted, measure the length you desire for your space.
- Attach your chandelier to the electrical box by following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Attach the electrical wires and place the wires into the electrical box in accordance with the directions of the manufacturer.
- Install light bulbs onto the chandelier as needed.
- Turn the power back on and enjoy your new chandelier.
Should I Call an Electrician to Install My Chandelier?
It is always a good idea to hire a certified electrician when it comes to installing a chandelier. An experienced electrician will have the knowledge to ensure that you have safely installed the chandelier when it comes to structural safety as well as the safety of the electrical components. Though in some cases it may be appropriate for you to install your own chandelier or light fixtures, it is best practice to always have an electrician complete electrical work in your home.
How Much Does Installing a Chandelier Cost?
The cost of installing a chandelier can vary based on the type of chandelier you are installing as well as if a chandelier has ever been installed in the space before. There may be additional support required to accommodate the fixture and this can increase the cost associated with installation. When hiring a qualified licensed electrician to install your chandelier you can expect to pay around $100 to $200 dollars for simple installations and as much as $2000 for complex installations of larger chandeliers that require more work.
What Should I Know When Choosing a Chandelier?
There are a few things that you should keep in mind when choosing a chandelier for your home. Though you may be in love with a beautiful large chandelier, it might not be practical for your space. Always consider the lighting requirements you need, the space you have including the height of the room you have to work with. There are many beautiful chandeliers to choose from and there is sure to be a perfect one for your space. Don’t hesitate in reaching out to a licensed electrician to obtain a quote for chandelier installation for your home.